From 4 May 2023 you’ll need to show photo ID when voting in person in some UK elections or referendums.
You’ll need it to vote in:
- UK Parliament by-elections
- local elections in England (including councils, mayors, the Greater London Authority and parishes)
- recall of MP petitions in England, Scotland and Wales
- Police and Crime Commissioner elections in England and Wales
- neighbourhood planning referendums and Business Improvement District referendums in England
- local authority referendums in England (including Council Tax increase referendums).