Parish Council

Eye Parish Council is made up of members who live/and or work within the Parish, this includes the Chairman and Vice-Chairman. The Parish Clerk oversees all administrative issues and serves the council.

Parish councils were originally formed in England under the Local Government Act 1894 to take over local oversight of civic duties in rural towns and villages.

The parish council hold monthly meetings in the Leeds Hall. These are formal events which include 10 minutes at the start where members of the public may comment or ask questions. The meetings have a clear purpose which is to make decisions on behalf of people in the village. They are minuted and a wide range of issues are discussed, briefly summarised below:

  • Allotments
  • The cemetery
  • Planning, highways & traffic calming issues
  • Public open spaces
  • Street lighting
  • The school
  • Rights of way ie. keeping public footpaths accessible
  • Supporting community events and groups within the village.

There are Parish Council noticeboards outside the Leeds Hall and the House of Feasts on Crowland Road.

Would you like to become a Parish Councillor?

Vacancies do come up on occasion, so if you want to take part in the decisions that affect the village, becoming a Parish Councillor is one way to do this. The position is unpaid and you must live or work within the Parish of Eye and have done so for the previous 12 months. In the first instance, a letter of application should be sent to the clerk. You can find out more by talking to the clerk.

Eye Nature Reserve

A permit that can be obtained from the Parish Clerk is required to fish at the nature reserve.  Fish anglers must also have a rod license which can be brought from a Post Office. Swimming in the lake and the lighting of bonfires are not allowed.

The Parish Council also has various amenities that can be hired or rented:

  • Allotments.
  • The Leeds Hall can be hired.
  • The Langley Pavillion at Lindisfarne is also available for hire. This has a lounge as well as five changing rooms. It is currently used by both the Junior and Senior football clubs and the Junior and Senior running clubs.

Please contact the clerk to check the availability of any of these facilities.


Please report any incidents of a crime immediately when they occur. The non-emergency number is 101, in an emergency dial 999.  You can also report anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. The police regularly keep the Parish Council informed of any incidents in the parish.