Quarrying in the area that makes up Eye Nature Reserve dates back to the late 19th century. The lake was created by the excavation clay, sand and gravel. The clay was used to make bricks in the adjacent Northam Brickworks. Brick making continued on the site until 1990 when the works closed. The site where the works were located is now a housing estate but the lake and surrounding woodland remain in public ownership. Locally the lake has also been known as the ‘knothole’.
Digging on the site started in a small sand and gravel pit opposite the junction of what is now Green Road and Crowland Road. The sand was reported to be some of ‘best in England’. It was during the exploration for sand and gravel that the lower layer of clay was discovered.
This clay, called ‘Lower Oxford Clay’ has a very high inbuilt fuel content that ignites and brings itself up to full burning temperature without the need for using coal. This also makes the bricks cheaper to produce and was one of the main reasons for the growth of the brick industry in the Peterborough area. Clay is still excavated to the south of the village in nearby Whittlesey.
The layer of clay was laid down over 150 million years ago in the Jurassic era and is known for its rich fossil record of fish and invertebrates. Local man Alfred Leeds who lived at Eyebury discovered the fossils of small ichthyosaurus and part of a plesiosaurus in the Northam pit in Eye.
Soon after the clay was discovered Eye farmer W. C. Moore who was leasing site from the Bishop of Peterborough set up his own brick-making business, Mr Moore’s Brickyard. He must have recognised the value of the site and purchased the land in 1897. He sold it to the Northam Brick Company very soon after. Below is a news article about the site from 1898.
In the early days, the clay was dug by hand, but later machinery would have been brought in. While the clay was close to the surface it would probably have been lifted out on buckets by hand, later as the pit went deeper the clay would have been loaded onto a small wagon on rails.
By 1899 a rail siding had been built to the nearby Midland and Great Northern Railway. At the time virtually all the bricks from the site were distributed by rail. Trains with 30-35 wagons regularly left for destinations around the country. One building we know that was built with bricks from the works is Queens Drive Infants School in Peterborough.
In September 1924, the site was acquired by the London Brick Company. Over the following years, the site was expanded and further kilns and equipment were installed. To make the site more efficient as the clay in the Northam Pit began to run out, an aerial ropeway from the nearby Star Pit in Dogsthorpe was added in 1928. This allowed the clay to be carried efficiently from the Dogsthorpe pit which at the time had many years of extraction left. Today they would use a conveyor belt to do the same thing.
During both world wars, the kilns were used for the storage of ammunition and on at least one occasion the yard was attacked by a German aircraft. Also during the war, the home guard used the local pits for training.
Once extraction at the Northam pit ceased the pit flooded, fed by natural springs. The eastern end is much shallower than the western end and excess water flows out of the lake at the eastern end.
In 1956 the Peterborough Advertiser was reporting that the London Brick Company had laid out a new bowling green to the rear of its Crowland Road clubroom, the article also mentioned the football and cricket clubs which both played under the name Northam Star.
The railway saw the last ‘brick train’ leave the station in 1966 as road transportation took over. London Brick announced the closure of the Eye (and Dogsthorpe) works in 1990. The chimneys were demolished not long after. The station was eventually demolished to make way for the Eye bypass which opened in October 1991. You can read more about the railway line here and in the book Peterborough to Kings Lynn: Part of the M&GN, published by Middleton Press available from online retailers and local libraries.
The lake was used as a diver training centre for a number of years and the local sub-aqua club ran Northam Pit as a national dive site. The large pike that inhabit the lake did put some people off (there were lots of stories of some very large ones living in the lake, the average length of a pike is about half a meter, with maximum recorded lengths of up to one and a half metres). A sunken Comma van still resides in the middle of the lake from that time.
The site was declared a nature reserve 1996. It was created with grants from English Partnerships and Hanson Properties. With the addition of the bridges, it was then feasible to add a footpath around the lake.
In 1999 plans for 14 houses and 2 bungalows were submitted for planning permission to the west of the lake, now Pershore Way.
In 2012 the site of the former brickworks was included in the ‘local plan’ (a statutory document which sets out the overall approach to development across the city) with an ‘indicative’ 35 homes. In 2014 plans for 55 homes were submitted to the local planning office which included a small car park for the reserve. This was initially refused by local planning officers but won on appeal by the developer. Later new plans for 67 homes were put forward which were approved. The Ecological Mitigation Strategy includes homes for bats and planting fruit-bearing trees to provide foraging habitat for birds and invertebrates. Construction on the site started in 2019.
Walking around the lake today you might never know the long history of the site. All that remains of the brickworks is the supporting wall to the south of the site and the multitude of bricks you can clearly see under the water…
Until 2016 the site was maintained by the Wildlife Trust for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire. It was handed back to Peterborough City Council in 2016 following plans for housing on the adjacent former Northam Brickyards site. Representatives from Peterborough City Council met with the Parish Council in July 2016 and discussed the future of the site. The Wildlife Trust gave a statement at the time “The value of the site has been, and will continue to be, diminished due to an increase in housing developments close to the site.” Despite this, the site is still an asset to the community and a refuge for many types of wildlife.